Website

Website
Visit Noree's website

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dresden Revisited


A year and a half ago I wrote a post about my enjoyment of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Now I can say I've worked my way through all the books. I finished "Cold Days" during the holidays. It took me two days and I want more.

Over the course of the books, you really see all the characters grow, and sometimes in not good ways. The events that happen really have effects on them. But the book that really made this evident was "Changes." After what took place, Harry's life, hell, life around the world would not be the same. Harry can't go back to living in his basement apartment with his cat. But you also see how "Changes" really affected those around him like Murphy and Molly. Both were irrevocably scarred from losing Harry and now that he's back, things aren't the same. And I love that.

In a lot of Urban Fantasy series, I see the following: solve mystery/defeat monster of the book/have same relationship argument/gain more power/but don't change as a character. It kind of gets boring. That's one of the reasons I like the Dresden series so much. It shakes things up to the core.

Don't get me wrong, Butcher does have a few writing quirks I don't like. For instance, in some part when Harry goes off on a tangent about something I can see Butcher putting himself in the books. Still, I love the story and that's what matters.

So, which series do you love and why?

4 comments:

  1. I have loved the Dresden Files, myself. However I can see the storyline shifting away from a lot of the elements I've liked the most about it, and there are character arcs and subplots that have been left hanging for so long I'm growing less eager to read on. It's purely a matter of personal taste, but still disappointing when something brought up 4 books ago still hasn't been developed properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, there are some things that are left unresolved. I can see how that would annoy you.

      Delete
  2. I've never read The Dresden Files before, but I've seen plenty of people praise it highly. Hearing you say how there's a lot of character growth especially intrigues me. I'm not a fan of books where characters pretty much remain unchanged from book to book, so I'll have to check this series out sometime, once my TBR pile is of a more reasonable size!

    My all-time favorite series has always been Daughters of the Moon by Lynne Ewing. I love how real both the characters and fantasy elements feel, and how there's always a sense of hope, even when things are at their most tragic. I also admire this author for showing that a girl can be both feminine and feminist. Too often you see girly characters portrayed as weak, but that's not the case here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first book of that series. I should go back and read more.

      Delete